Sunday, May 25, 2014

Chinese Marbled Tea Eggs

I fell in love the moment I saw the beautiful eggs. It is such a work of art and very simple to make.

I made this some time ago and my family and myself were fascinated by the prints on the egg.

From the recipes that are available online, many call for the addition of soy sauce to the recipe for 'salting' the eggs. For my recipe I added what I had at that time and didn't add star anise or soy sauce. My main goal was to recreate and the marbling. It also gave me the option to season the eggs as I like after they were cooked.

Here are two recommended links for recipe with soy sauce and more of a 'traditional' Chinese preparation. Source 1, Source 2.

Ingredients:
Eggs (8)
Tea (I used the regular loose black tea. Tea bags can also be used) (3-4 heaping tbsp)
Whole Cinnamon sticks (4ish)
Few cloves (4ish)
Water
Orange peels (just a few 3-4 small pieces)

Method:
First pre-boil the eggs in water for about 5-10 minutes (time after the water starts boiling). Then crack the shells as shown below. It helped me to use a heavy serving spoon to induce the cracks on the egg shells better than cracking them against the table or wall.
Then put the eggs back into the pot and added the water, tea, orange peels, cinnamon and cloves. The amount of water should be level with the eggs an/or a little higher. One way of having a deeper and darker color is by adding more tea leaves.
Boil the eggs for 2-3 hours in medium heat and this is what it looks like:
Leave the eggs overnight for an even deeper color. When I did this, even the shells were dyed.
And viola!
Words can't describe how pretty they look.
The residual shells look really cool too. 
Here is the cross section. Deviled eggs any one?

No comments:

Post a Comment